I have completed an application for admission.  What do I need to do now?

Inquiries concerning admission applications or admission status should be directed to the Office of Admissions, Northwestern State University, Student Services Center, Suite 235, Natchitoches, LA  71497.  Email: or telephone: 800-807-8849 or 318-357-4078.


I have received a letter of acceptance from the University.  What do I need to do now?

Contact the department of your major for assignment of a faculty advisor to assist you in the selection of courses and the registration process.  Faculty advisors are available to students throughout the academic year, but their role is especially important during the registration period.  The advisor will explain University academic requirements and assist you in planning a program which satisfies these requirements. The advisor will also explore career alternatives and aid in any academic or personal problems.




How do I login and register for classes via NSUConnect?

To log into NSUConnect, go to NSU home page at and click on NSUConnect. Click on “Enter Secure Area” and type in your username (Student ID or Social Security Number) and PIN to login.  (The PIN has to be between 6 and 15 characters.)     


·        NSUConnect may be accessed by current and former students that have a record of attendance between the summer of 1985 and the present.   In addition to registration and dropping and adding courses the site allows ready access to your records and available online services. 

·        Click on the following link at for detailed instructions on how to register via NSUConnect.

·        The registration schedule is available in the Schedule of Classes, on the Academic Calendar, and in the Class Schedule on NSUConnect.  Links to these publications are available on the University Registrar’s web page


How to request my transcript?

Click on the following link at for detailed information on how to request a transcript.


Will my credits transfer to Northwestern from another institution?

Hours earned at an institution accredited by a regional committee on colleges, or the equivalent, will be accepted at Northwestern.  These agencies are Middle States Association of colleges & Schools, North Central Association of Colleges & Schools, New England Association of Schools & Colleges, Northwest Association of Schools & Colleges, Southern Association of Colleges & Schools and Western Association of Schools & Colleges. You may view the Louisiana Postsecondary Education Statewide Student Transfer Guide and the Master Course Articulation Matrix online through the following link -  The articulation matrix furnishes the current course equivalents for Louisiana Colleges and Universities.  Please note that the listing of courses through this site is not all inclusive.  There will be courses that articulate between campuses that are not indicated on the matrices.  Transfer Credit Practices of Designated Educational Institutions, published by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), is used as a basis for determining the accreditation status of other institutions.   If you have earned credits at a school that is not regionally accredited, you have the option to “test out” of the courses.  For this option contact the department of the course(s) for assistance with registering to take a special exam.


How can I find out what course(s) to take at another institution to transfer back to NSU as a course(s) I need?

A Prior Approval of Transfer Credit form must be completed prior to enrolling at another institution if the credit earned is to be transferred back to NSU. This form is for currently enrolled or previously enrolled NSU students.  The Prior Approval of Transfer Credit form must be completed and turned into the University Registrar’s Office for processing.  The University Registrar’s Office will determine the equivalent course you should take at the other institution and send the form to your academic dean for approval.  Once the dean approves the equivalency he/she will mail you a copy of the form with the approving signatures.  At that time you will be ready to complete your enrollment at the other institution.   The Prior Approval of Transfer Credit form is available through the following link:  or in the University Registrar’s Office, Student Services Center, Suite 308.


My GPA at my previous institution is different than the GPA I got when I transferred to NSU, why?

Some institutions offer a repeat/delete policy where the last attempt at a course is the only one that is calculated into the grade point average.   Northwestern does not have a repeat/delete policy.  The last attempt at a course is used in determining if degree requirements have been met, but all attempts at a course (transfer and/or NSU attempts) are calculated into the cumulative grade point average.   This may result in a difference between the GPA reflected on the transcript from your previous institution and your NSU average.  


How do I change my major?

To request a change of major mail or fax a signed request to the University Registrar’s Office.  The request must contain your full name, Student Identification Number or Social Security Number, a brief statement of the change you are requesting, and your legal signature.  Please be sure to also include a telephone number where you may be reached with any questions concerning your request.   A Change of Major Request form may be downloaded via the following link -  Your request may be faxed to 318-357-5823 or mailed to the University Registrar’s Office, Northwestern State University, Natchitoches, LA  71497.


I did not achieve the minimum academic standing for the semester, what can I do?

A student will be placed on academic probation whenever the cumulative grade point average is below a 2.0 average.  Once on academic probation, a student will remain on probation (as long as each semester grade point average is at least 2.0) until the cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher is achieved. While on probation, a student must earn at least a 2.0 semester grade point average to remain in school.  Once a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher is achieved, a student will be placed in academic good standing.  Transfer students are placed on academic probation if the cumulative grade point average is below a 2.0 average.


A student on academic probation will be suspended at the conclusion of any semester in which the student fails to earn a semester grade point average of at least 2.0.  A student suspended for the first time will be suspended for a period of one semester.  All subsequent suspension periods are for one full calendar year.  Suspended students may appeal to their academic dean prior to the last day of regular registration to be considered for readmission.  Appeals may be grnated or denied. 


A student suspended for the first time at the end of a spring semester may attend summer school without appeal. If the student raises their cumulative grade point average to 2.0 or higher, they are placed in academic good standing and their suspension period is lifted. They may then attend the fall semester without appeal. If they do not raise their cumulative grade point average to 2.0 or higher in the summer session, the suspension for the fall semester is in effect. In this case, only one suspension is counted against the student.


A student suspended for second or subsequent time at the end of the spring semester may also attend summer school.  To be readmitted to any semester other than the summer session, students must appeal. A student suspended from Northwestern may not enroll in another university within the Board of Supervisors system, but may enroll in a community or junior college with approval of both Northwestern and the community/junior college. Credits earned under these conditions may be accepted for a degree at Northwestern provided grades of “C” or higher are earned in each of the courses to be transferred.


Please refer to the University Scholastic Probation, Suspension, and Readmission Regulations in the University Catalog ( for complete academic regulations.  


May I attend another institution while under academic suspension from NSU?

Pursuant to the Board of Supervisors Academic Suspension Policy a student academically suspended from Northwestern State University may request permission to attend a community college during the academic suspension period. The student must complete and submit an application to the University Registrar for a decision.  Approval must be obtained from both Northwestern State University and the community college. Applications may be granted or denied.  Note:  Authorization is only official if the application form (with the appropriate approving agents signatures and school seals) is returned to the University Registrar’s Office, Student Services Center, Suite 308, Northwestern State University, Natchitoches, Louisiana 71497.    If the student fails to return the application to the University Registrar, any credits earned will not be acceptable toward a degree at Northwestern. The application may be obtained through the following link: or from the University Registrar’s Office at the above location.


I disagree with the grade I was given in a course.  What can I do?

Undergraduate students who receive grades they believe do not reflect the quality of their work may appeal these grades within 120 calendar days following the academic period in which the grades were earned. The procedure for appeal is as follows:


1.    The student should consult the instructor to see if an understanding can be reached. The student is entitled to an explanation as to how the grade was determined and to examine any tests, papers, or other information pertinent to the appeal.

2.    If the conference is not satisfactory, the student should secure a Grade Appeal Form from the University Registrar’s Office or the office of the dean of the college in which the course was offered. The student may discuss the appeal informally with the dean if the student so desires.

3.    In filing a formal appeal, the student should complete the appeal form, stating the nature of the appeal, providing a detailed description of the justification, and requesting a specific action. Since the written appeal will be the basis for the ultimate decision, the student should ensure that it is clear, complete, and inclusive of all documentation the student wishes to have considered in the appeal process. It is the student’s responsibility to present written evidence that the instructor made an error or acted arbitrarily or capriciously in assigning the grade.

4.    The student should submit the completed appeal form to the instructor for review. If a solution is not found, the instructor should provide a written response to the student’s appeal, providing documentation as to how the grade was determined. The instructor’s response should include a copy of the course outline or syllabus provided to the student’s class at the beginning of the semester or term.

5.    After having met with the instructor and obtaining his or her written response to the appeal, the student may submit the form to the head of the academic department that owns the course. Following a review of the student’s appeal and the instructor’s response, the department head should provide his or her written opinion of the appeal along with any additional, pertinent information.

6.    If the student is unsatisfied with the opinion of the department head, he or she may submit the appeal to the academic dean of the college offering the course. If the student is unsatisfied with the opinion of the dean, he or she may submit the written appeal with all signatures to the University Registrar. At that time, a meeting of the subcommittee on grade appeals for the Registration, Credits, and Graduation Council will be called to review and make a final decision on the appeal. The University Registrar will notify the student in writing of the decision.


I have been charged late fees and/or an installment charge. Can I appeal the charge(s)?

Students may appeal installment plan and/or late payment charges by completing a Registration Access Appeal form. The appeal form is available in the One Card Office, Student Services Center, Room 336 or online at Students must complete and return the appeal form to the One Card Office, Northwestern State University, Natchitoches, LA. 71497 or fax to: 318-357-5279 with appropriate supporting documentation attached.  Only a completed appeal form with the proper documentation attached will be considered by the Committee. The Committee’s decision will be final.


What is the COMPASS Test?

COMPASS is a college placement test that assists NSU in evaluating incoming students in writing (English) and math skills for placement decisions.   COMPASS exams replace the departmental placement tests for English and math. The cost per examination is $25.00 and is payable at the time of testing.



·        Any student who needs 4 or more hours of developmental courses (English 0920 or Math 0920).

·        Students who may be required to take at least one developmental course in English or math (English920 or Math 0920).

·        Students who scored below 18 on the ACT English (450 SAT Verbal) OR below 19 on the ACT Math (460 SAT Math), and are required to take English 1010 or Math 1020/1060.


To place out of remedial (developmental) English and/or Math, a student must score at least a 68 on the Writing and at least a 40 on the algebra section of the Math test


The NSU Testing Center on the Natchitoches campus offers the COMPASS on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30am – 11:00am.   Students can show up during those designated hours without an appointment.   They are located in room 306 of the Friedman Student Union, telephone: 318-357-5246. 


The cost is $25 (cash, check, money order, credit/debit accepted) and is payable at the time of testing. Students MUST have a current, photo ID.


The COMPASS is also offered at the Leesville and Shreveport campus (appointment only- students must schedule directly with the test administrator on that campus).


How do I enroll in a special exam?

Academic departments extend to enrolled undergraduate students the opportunity to “challenge” virtually any course offered by the University. These examinations, administered by the departments, may not be repeated. A student may not challenge any course in which a grade (A, B, C, D, F, P, I, W, Z, WA, WB, WC, WD, WF, WP, WZ, or AU) has been earned.  The cost per examination is $100.00.

Undergraduate students interested in taking a special examination must be enrolled in at least one credit hour and must register for the exam on or by the last day to register for classes during regular registration by completing the following steps:

1.    Contact the Department Head responsible for the course to get a special exam card. The Department Head must approve the special exam by completing the information on the card and signing the card.

2.    Have your advisor sign the card to approve the special exam.

3.    Take the completed card to the University Registrar’s Office to be registered for the exam.

4.    A non-refundable fee of $100.00 for each special exam will be assessed.


NOTE:  A student cannot register for a special exam and the same regular semester course at the same time.


How do I change my address with the University?

Students can change their address via NSUConnect.  A student must provide a local and permanent address at the time of admission to the University.  Students are responsible for the consequences of all communications sent to the address on file in the University Registrar’s Office so if a change of address occurs a student should immediately take the necessary steps to change his/her address with the University.  A signed request for a change of address may be submitted to the University Registrar’s Office, Student Services Center, Suite 308, Northwestern State University, Natchitoches, Louisiana 71497 or by fax to: 318-357-5823. Students may also update their address via NSUConnect @


How do I change my name with the University?

Fill out a Name Change Request Form (or submits a written request) and provide the original

·        Social Security Card with the new name

·        Picture ID (Documents are copied by appropriate University personnel and returned to student) 

Appropriate personnel include:

·        University Registrar’s Office personnel

·        Satellite campus personnel—the documentation is verified, copied, initialed, and

forwarded to the University Registrar’s Office


A clear readable copy of the documentation may be mailed to the Registrar’s office by the student.  Faxed copies are acceptable as long as the picture ID is clear.


The Name Change Request Form is available in the University Registrar’s Office or online through the following link-


I need assistance to log into myNSU or Moodle, what do I do?

myNSU and Moodle are maintained through Student Technology, 113D Watson Library, Northwestern State University, Natchitoches, Louisiana 71497. Inquiries and request for assistance should be submitted to that office through the Student Help Desk – or telephone: 800-376-2422 or 318-357-6696.


How do I withdraw/drop a course?

You may complete the drop via NSU Connect (

A student may drop a course or courses with a grade or grades of “W” prior to the date specified in the Official University Academic Calendar (  Courses dropped with a grade of “W” carry no academic penalties, are not refunded at any time, and will not be credited to a student’s account.  A student who wishes to drop all courses in which he or she is enrolled must officially resign from the University.


How do I resign from the University?

You cannot drop your last class via NSUConnect. If you want to change a course section or add a different course, add the desired course and then drop the course that you do not want. If you want to resign from the University, please click on the following link at to download a copy of the resignation/cancellation form. Print, complete, sign, date, and fax the completed form to the Office of the Registrar at (318) 357-5823 or (318) 357-4567.  You may also scan the completed form and email it to

I dropped my class by mistake, what can I do to get re-enrolled?

Students who mistakenly drop a course may contact the University Registrar’s Office within 24 hours (or the next business day) and be reinstated in the course.  If the mistake is not noted within that time the student may be reinstated within one week of the drop with the written authorization of the instructor. If more than one week has passed since the drop the authorization of the academic dean is required for reinstatement. 


I am enrolled in Internet-Only courses and have been assessed out-of-state fees.  Do I have to pay these fees?

No.  Internet-only students do not pay ANY out-of-state fees.  Out-of-state fees are automatically assessed to the accounts of any out-of-state student but will be reversed at the end of the registration period if the student remains enrolled in only internet courses.  For further assistance, please contact the Scholarship Office at 318-357-5685.


Is there a way to exclude my prior academic grades from my academic record/transcript?

Undergraduate students may, at the time of application for admission or readmission to the University, file for academic bankruptcy if they have not been enrolled in any college or university for a period of at least three calendar years immediately preceding their intended enrollment at NSU.  The following conditions will apply:


1.    The student will forfeit the use of all college or university credits earned prior to the date academic bankruptcy was declared, including credits earned through any type of advanced placement program.

2.    The student’s record will be inscribed with the notation “Academic Bankruptcy Declared (date).”

3.    No courses taken prior to the declaration of Academic Bankruptcy will be used in the calculation of the student’s grade point average and may not be used to fulfill requirements of any kind.

4.    The student will be ineligible for special academic honors conferred by the University except as justified by the entire academic record, which includes courses taken prior to the declaration of Academic Bankruptcy.

5.    A student who has declared Academic Bankruptcy will be considered as an entering freshman and will be subject to all policies for placement in courses. Specifically, such students will be required to take the American College Test and/or the COMPASS test to determine placement in English and mathematics courses.

6.    A declaration of Academic Bankruptcy is final and irreversible, and may only be exercised once in a student’s academic career.

7.    Declaration of Academic Bankruptcy does not pertain to accumulated financial aid history. Accumulated semester and award limits include all semesters of enrollment, both before and after the declaration.

8.    These policies concerning Academic Bankruptcy pertain only to Northwestern State University.


To request Academic Bankruptcy, a student must be admitted to the University and must submit the Petition for Academic Bankruptcy to the University Registrar’s Office at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the intended semester of enrollment. After reviewing all records to determine that the student has submitted all required transcripts and has met the three-year period of non-enrollment, the University Registrar’s Office will verify, sign the request, and forward the material to the appropriate dean. The dean will ensure that the student is counseled, act on the request, and return the material to the University Registrar’s Office.  ACADEMIC BANKRUPTCY MAY NOT BE DECLARED ONCE A DEGREE HAS BEEN EARNED.



What is NSU’s school code?

·        ACT  (American College Testing) School Code – 1600

·        CLEP (College Level Examination Program) School Code – 6492

·        FICE (Federal Financial Aid) School Code – 002021



I am a Texas resident and have been assessed out-of-state fees.  Can I have these fees removed?

Students who reside in the following Texas counties can receive an out-of-state fee waiver:  Cass, Harrison, Jefferson, Marion, Newton, Orange, Panola, Sabine, and Shelby.  For further assistance, please contact the Office of Scholarships, Student Services Center, Northwestern State University, Natchitoches, LA 71497 - telephone: 318- 357-5685.


I am a teacher and want to know if there is an exemption for tuition?

The Louisiana Classroom Teacher Enrollment Program (CTEP) which, if several stipulations are met, allows classroom teachers to attend Louisiana’s public colleges and universities tuition free (all other fees must be paid by the teacher) on a space available basis. 


The CTEP program is applicable and valid only for courses offered on the main campus of or through compressed video courses offered by the college or university which the teacher plans to attend.  CTEP may not be used to schedule off-campus, correspondence, or distance learning (television, internet, etc.) courses.  Independent study courses, practicum courses requiring individual supervision, thesis courses, and dissertation courses are not eligible for tuition exemption under the CTEP program.  The law creating CTEP *limits course enrollment to six (6) semester hours per academic year [four (4) semester hours per academic year quarter at Louisiana Tech University].  Course enrollment limits for summer sessions or quarters under this program are those imposed by the college or university in which the teacher enrolls.


The CTEP Application can be obtained from the University Registrar’s Web Site at  under Student Information.  Please review the entire application.  For further assistance, contact the University Registrar’s Office at 318-357-6171 or Student Services Center, Suite 308.