Undergraduate students may, at the time of application for admission or readmission to the University, file for academic bankruptcy if they have not been enrolled in any accredited college or university for a period of at least three (3) calendar years immediately preceding their intended enrollment at Northwestern State University.  

The following conditions will apply:

  1. The student will forfeit the use of all college or university credits earned prior to the date academic bankruptcy was declared, including credits earned through any type of advanced placement program.
  2. The student's record will be inscribed with the notation "Academic Bankruptcy declared _______(date)__________ by Northwestern State University.  No courses taken prior to the declaration of Academic Bankruptcy will be used in the calculation of the student's grade point average and may not be used to fulfill requirements of any kind."
  3. The student will be ineligible for academic honors conferred by the University except as justified by the entire academic record, which includes courses taken prior to the declaration of Academic Bankruptcy.
  4. A student who has declared Academic Bankruptcy will be considered as an entering freshman and will be subject to all policies for placement in courses.  Specifically, such students who do not have ACT scores on file will be required to take the American College Test (ACT) and/or University Placement Tests to determine placement in English and Math courses.
  5. A student that does not meet university admission requirements as a transfer student may, with an approved Academic Bankruptcy Petition, qualify for admission to the university under the first-time freshman admission requirements.
  6. These policies concerning Academic Bankruptcy pertain only to Northwestern State University.
  7. A declaration of Academic Bankruptcy is final and irreversible and may only be exercised once in a student's academic career.
  8. Declaration of Academic Bankruptcy does not pertain to accumulated Financial Aid history.  Accumulated semester and award limits include all semesters of enrollment, including those prior to the declaration. 

To request Academic Bankruptcy, a student must be admitted to the University and must submit the Petition for Academic Bankruptcy to the University Registrar's Office at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the intended semester of enrollment.  After reviewing all records to determine that the student has submitted all required transcripts and has met the three-year period of non-enrollment, the University Registrar's Office will verify, sign the request, and forward the material to the appropriate dean.  The dean will ensure that the student is counseled, act on the request, and return the material to the University Registrar's Office.

Related Documents: